Information for Patients having Surgery (MGH)
Scheduling your surgery
- At time of your office visit you may schedule your surgery
- If you wish to schedule surgery after further consideration and discussion with your physician, please contact us
- Workers Compensation Patients: Approval for your surgery must be obtained from your insurance company first. Our office will assist in this process.
- Additional Laboratory tests: Your physician may require pre-surgical laboratory studies, additional radiographs, CT’scans and MRI studies, and EMG (electromyographic study: evaluates functions of nerves in your shoulder and arm).
- Preadmission testing and Anesthesia: Most patients will require a preoperative visit to see the anesthesia service and perform necessary laboratory tests in preparation for surgery: www.massgeneral.org/services/preadmissiontesting.aspx
- Waitlist for Cancellations: If you wish to have your surgery date moved up we can place your name on a waitlist for cancellations of previously scheduled surgeries.
Do not eat or drink anything after midnight of the night before your surgery. Do not apply deodorant in the morning of your surgery under the arm of the shoulder which will be operated. If you are having out-patient surgery and going home after your surgery, make sure you have someone who can drive you home later in the day. If you are taking aspirin or another anti-inflammatory medicine like Naprosyn, Motrin, Advil, etc., please stop this one week prior to surgery. If you are taking blood thinning medicines like Coumadin, your physician will give you special instructions about how this will be handled prior to surgery.
Patients having Ambulatory Surgery
We perform our out-patient surgery at MGH West Ambulatory Surgery Center in Waltham. Detailed information about your surgery, directions to the center, and what to expect are available at http://www2.massgeneral.org/ortho/asc.htm.