Arthroscopic Rotator Cuff Repair at Our Institutions: 2007-2008
Total Number of Arthroscopic Rotator Cuff repair surgeries performed by Dr. Jon J.P. Warner at Mass. GeneralHospital = 186
Total Number of Arthroscopic Rotator Cuff repair surgeries performed by Dr. Laurence D. Higgins at Brigham and WomensHospital = 200
Total Arthroscopic Rotator Cuff Repair Surgeries = 386
Breakdown of Rotator Cuff Tendon Repairs:
87 = Revision Cases (23%)
102 = Massive Tears (26%)
353 involved Supraspinatus Tendon (91%)
143 involved Infraspinatus Tendon (37%)
64 involved Subscapularis Tendon (17%)
11 involved Teres Minor Tendon (3%)
- Arthroscopic Rotator Cuff Repairs performed at MGH & BWH during this time period
- Presented as American Shoulder and Elbow Society Abstract but unpublished data.
- 131 patients (77 men/54 women)
- Average follow-up= 1 year
- 25 injuries were work-related
- Tear sizes:
- 3 or 4 tendons torn: 9 patients
- 2 tendons torn: 69 patients
- 1 tendon torn: 52 patients
-Are you happy and would have the surgery again?
95.5% answered YES!
-Are you satisfied with how your shoulder functions?
98.6% answered YES!
- Infection = 0%
- Stiffness = 0%
- Nerve injury = 0%
Other Clinical Experience
Lafosse and coworkers studied 105 patients in 2006 (Published in J. Bone & Joint Surgery)
- Patient Satisfation: Almost all patients were happy with outcome
- Average Improvement in Constant Score (Out of 100 points):
-Before Surgery Constant Score (average) = 43 points
-After Surgery Constant Score = 80 points
- Percentage of tendon tears with complete healing on MRI after surgery = 89%