Shoulder Biomotion Laboratory
Massachusetts General Research Center and Labs
The Shoulder Biomechanics Laboratory is under the direction of Jon J.P. Warner, M.D., located at the Massachusetts General Hospital. The laboratory seeks to understand the complex motion of the human shoulder in varying states from healthy to diseased, in effort to improve clinical outcomes. Our laboratory was the first to measure the in-vivo contact locations in individuals with total shoulder arthroplasty, indicating that glenohumeral contact is not centered on the glenoid component.
Additionally, we pioneered an inter-neural tagging technique to track nerves in three dimensions with a dual fluoroscopic imaging system (DFIS). This technique was applied to the suprascapular nerve (SSN) from proximal to the suprascapular notch to the terminal branches in a dynamic full torso cadaveric model. We investigated the course of the SSN with and without a simulated rotator cuff tendon tear and/or with transection of the transverse scapular ligament. Clinically relevant motion of the nerve was found at both the suprascapular and spinoglenoid notches.
Currently, we are investigating the dynamic motion of healthy human shoulder joints with DFIS to create a database which to compare to individual with various pathologies, such as instability and rotator cuff tendon tears. In building on the technique pioneered for the SSN study, we are investigating the 3D anatomy of the long thoracic nerve (LTN) with varying degrees of scapular dyskinesis. Our future directions look to correlating glenoid wear in total shoulder arthroplasty to 3D kinematics using DFIS and radiostereometric analysis (RSA).
- Massimini DF, Singh A, Wells JH, Li G, Warner JP. Suprascapular Nerve Anatomy During Shoulder Motion: A Cadaveric Proof of Concept Study with Implications for Neurogenic Shoulder Pain. Submitted to JSES Aug 2011
- Massimini DF, Warner JP, Li G. Non-Invasive Determination of Coupled Motion of the Scapula and Humerus – An In-Vitro Validation. J of Biomech 44 (2011) 1428
- Massimini DF, Li G, Warner JP. Glenohumeral Contact Kinematics In Patients After Total Shoulder Arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 92(4): 916-26, 2010.
- Boyer PJ, Massimini DF, Gill TJ, Papannagari R, Stewart SL, Warner JP, Li G. In vivo articular cartilage contact at the glenohumeral joint: preliminary report. J Orthop Sci. 2008;13:359-65.
Posters, Abstracts and Talks
- In-Vivo Articular Cartilage Contact of the Glenohumeral Joint” Boyer PJ, Papannagari R, Massimini DF, Jordan SS, Warner JP, Gill TJ, Li G (52nd ORS Annual Meeting 2006, Poster)
- In-Vivo Glenohumeral Ligament Elongation” Boyer PJ, Papannagari R, Massimini DF, Jordan SS, Warner JP, Gill TJ, Li G (52nd ORS Annual Meeting 2006, Poster and Talk)
- Patient Specific In-Vivo Shoulder Contact Kinematics After Total Shoulder Arthroplasty” Massimini DF, Li G, Warner JP (53rd ORS Annual Meeting 2007, Poster and Talk)
- Validation of a Non-Invasive Measurement of Glenohumeral Articular Surface Contact After TSA Utilizing a Silicon Rubber Technique” Massimini DF, Li G, Warner JP (54th ORS Annual Meeting 2008, Poster)
- Glenohumeral Articular Contact Kinematics of Patients After Total Shoulder Arthroplasty” Massimini DF, Li G, Warner JP (54th ORS Annual Meeting 2008, Poster)
- Dynamic Scapular Motions of the Shoulder After Total Shoulder Arthroplasty Using an Imaging Technique” Massimini DF, Li G, Warner JP (54th ORS Annual Meeting 2008, Poster)
- Dynamic In-Vivo Scapular Motion in Abduction and Adduction” Massimini DF, Warner JP, Li G (ASME Summer Biomechanics Conference, June 2008)
- Humeral Head Translations and Glenohumeral Contact Kinematics in Patients with Total Shoulder Arthroplasty” Massimini DF, Li G, Warner JP (55th ORS Annual Meeting 2009, Poster)
- Dynamic Shoulder Kinematics - Validation of Dual Plane Fluoroscopy” Massimini DF, Li G, Warner JP (55th ORS Annual Meeting 2009, Poster)
- In-Vivo Shoulder Contact Kinematics After Anatomic Total Shoulder Arthroplasty” Massimini DF, Li G, Warner JP (76th AAOS Annual Meeting 2009, Talk)
- Validation of Dynamic Shoulder Kinematics - Dual Plane Fluoroscopy” Massimini DF, Warner JP, Li G (56th ORS Annual Meeting 2010, Poster)
- Novel Technique to Track the Suprascapular Nerve during Dynamic Shoulder Motion” Massimini DF, Singh A, Wang J, Wells J, Li G, Warner JP (56th ORS Annual Meeting 2010, Poster)
- Suprascapular Nerve Dynamics during Shoulder Motion: a Cadaveric Study” Massimini DF, Singh A, Wells J, Li G, Warner JP (ICSES, Edinburgh Scotland, Sept 2010, e-Poster)